I’ve reached several times in recent years for a kind of comic scripting which would allow me to explore with a new audience ideas that a decade ago I would have simply exorcised through writing a novel. I decided against writing a novel because the fire that once motivated me very strongly to write books is, at least for now, gone.
Instead, I wanted to make a comicbook exploring the same issues that came into my head:
1. a self aware comicbook character in the redheaded teen mode – from Archie to Jimmy Olsen – who didn’t break the fourth wall but who did despair of the endless looping existence of which he was the epicentre; I tried this previously with JT Neslo but that was too derivative- a single idea spread too thin;
2. the Swampman thought experiment combined with Mossman and Pere Malfait lore from Florida;
3. a non-Satanic working with symbols and secret messages- a way to put encryption into a comicbook for a non-sinister purpose. I feel personally that there is a definite luciferian aspect to some comics, not necessarily the ones people might immediately jump on either;
4. since comicbook writing and drawing is my hobby, but a serious hobby, I wanted to implement the powerthinking techniques I’ve learned recently in a form where it can express itself in something concrete;
5. I wanted to do a comic whose artwork would be vibrant and delightful when printed, not just a digital comicbook whose charms are entirely different. The Swamp Man book will be digital as well- but this is intended to actually literally be a graphic novel- written as would one of my earlier novels have been, but translated into comicbook long form.
To the extent I succeed this will be one of the projects closest to my heart.
Swamp Man and all related characters and images are TM & (c) Jonathan Nolan 2015 and following all rights reserved worldwide.