Kentucky Monkeymen


Source: Bart Nunnelly’s Mysterious Kentucky

Summer Shade is a small KY town nestled amid the hills and
hollows of what lowlanders like myself would call ‘Hill
Country’. It is located in Metcalf County and the scenery
there is strikingly beautiful and much different from the
marshy lowlands of Western KY. Mountains, valleys and
stone-bottomed creeks dominate a landscape that is covered
with seemingly endless expanses of thick, virgin forests.
Within these forests, and scattered upon the sides of the
stony mountains and creek banks there, can be found
entrances to countless darkened caves which open into murky
caverns containing passages which lead deep underground,
connecting to the largest known cave system in the world,
nearby Mammoth caves. Who can say where all these tunnels
lead and what might be found within them? Perhaps even an
unknown species or two might live in such immense
subterranean networks as these and utilize them as
convenient and highly effective escape routes when needed.

In 1995 my brother, Robert, moved to Summer Shade. His
property consisted of roughly seventy-five acres on two
parallel ridges covered with thick growths of Pine and Fir.
A small, rocky stream ran near the house, separating it from
the barn and completing the picturesque scene. All was well
for a few months. Then he noticed that some of his chickens
were starting to disappear. He could find no trace of them,
nor any spoor left behind by any nocturnal visitors to his
hen house, it seemed. They were just gone. He thought little
of it, even though our family had found out the hard way
back in Spottsville some 20 years earlier what a steady
disappearance of barnyard fowl might mean. Chickens were,
after all, usually the primary targets of any and all
roaming predators, being easy prey items, especially when
cooped. Aside from the chickens, none of the larger
livestock seemed bothered and nothing else on the property
was disturbed. Nonetheless, as the weeks went by, the
chickens continued to vanish and he remained bewildered as
to why. It was not until after two family friends, Tim S.
And Chris W. (real names on file), had come for a lengthy
visit that the unidentified chicken thieves were finally

When they announced that they were intending to stay for
several weeks Robert graciously offered them the use of a
good sized camper to sleep in. They took the camper about
100 yards from the house and parked it beside a heavily
wooded area so as not to disturb anyone or be more
bothersome than was necessary. When they retired of an
evening they would drive to a dirt access road and walk a
few steps to the camper. Later, the bedraggled pair told my
brother that several times, as they returned to the camper,
their headlights had illuminated what appeared to be
‘little, hairy creatures’. These things were only 2 to 3 ft.
tall, they claimed, and were covered from head to toe with
dark brown hair. They shied away when the light hit them and
ran swiftly out of view, alternating between bipedal and
quadrupedal locomotion. Moreover, each time they were
witnessed they appeared to travel in groups of from two to
four individuals.

One night, as the two were readying for sleep, they heard a
strange noise, a ‘chattering’ sound, coming from the
darkness outside. They looked out very quietly, and were
alarmed to see a considerable group of these creatures in
the woods just outside the door. Worse yet, they seemed to
be stealthily approaching the camper, darting from tree to
tree. Despite this, every so often one or two of them would
let out another ‘monkey-like’ grunt. Chris immediately
grabbed the handgun Robert had given them for protection. He
would’ve started shooting, Chris said, if Tim hadn’t stopped
him. He feared that such an act might anger the others.
Maybe even enough to make them swarm the camper all at once.
Then what? They certainly couldn’t shoot them all. They
noted that the diminutive critters were covered in dirt and
dried mud, as if they were freshly returned from a digging
endeavor on one of the many nearby creek banks. They were
relieved when they decided to step outside with their
flashlights and again the creatures made a swift retreat
from the lights but, even so, neither could sleep a wink
after the episode. They hadn’t wanted to say anything about
it at first. But now things were getting serious.

The adults of the household could tell that both the boys
were telling the truth and did not disbelieve their story.
They had absolutely no reason to make up such a tale.
Besides, Robert himself had seen a somewhat similar
creature, up close and in broad daylight, back in
Spottsville when he was 10 years old – and that one had been
around ten ft. tall! Surely, if that was, indeed, what they
were dealing with now, the three foot variety couldn’t be
all that scary. Especially not with such an array of
firearms available. Nearly the entire family were avid
hunters. How much trouble could they be? He completely
failed to take into account the overwhelming advantages that
even smaller animals may afford themselves by traveling in
groups. But he would become rudely awakened to this fact one
evening not long after.

As it happened, one night Robert and the 2 boys, now
accompanied by Chris’ father James, found themselves outside
after dark trying to locate one of the horses that had
escaped the fence. All four were armed with handguns of
varying calibers. It was best not to take any unwarranted
chances. Especially in karst country. No telling what could
be hiding in the caves. The two adults carried powerful
flashlights in addition to their weapons. As they searched a
forested area near where the camper had sat the group became
aware that they were not alone in the woods. They could see
small, dark figures moving swiftly and noiselessly through
the trees around them. The two boys pointed wildly at the
things in silent vindication. The men shined their lights to
and fro and drew their weapons. The boys followed suit.
Whenever the light beams would hit one of the beings it
immediately shrank back into the night and out of sight,
running at first on its hind legs before dropping down to
all four, then rising once again. They exhibited no
eye-shine, they noted, and these too appeared to be covered
in mud. Robert also related how, when standing, the
creatures’ front legs looked somewhat longer than the back

The worst of it, he later told me, apart from seeing the
weird little boogers in the first place, was that they were
intent on advancing toward the group of witnesses,
maneuvering their way in on all sides in an apparent attempt
to surround them. Only this time, the creatures were
operating in complete silence. What these things had in mind
as an end result, fortunately, was never discovered for,
when one of the things became bold enough to approach within
a few inches of James, the alarmed quartet opted for a hasty
departure from the area. James later told me that one of the
creatures had rushed in from behind him and ran straight up
into a tree without slowing down at all. The force of the
movement was such that he could feel the wind on his neck.
They all considered themselves lucky that they had somehow
managed to make it back to the safety of the house without
firing a single shot.

I subsequently interviewed each of the witnesses and they
all agreed on every detail and each strongly attested to the
fact that they weren’t particularly interested in going
outside after sundown because of it. I walked much of the
area in question but could find no evidence in the form of
physical traces of the reported creatures nor apparent signs
of digging on any of the nearby creek banks. By the time I
was able to make it to the site things had quieted down, it
seemed. In the ensuing months Robert informed me that every
single chicken that he owned, not surprisingly, had

Business and personal reasons kept me from returning to
that part of the state for many months. Then, in May,1998,
another sighting took place. This one by Robert’s son, DJ,
and one of his friends, a neighbor from down the road a
piece. My mother had recently returned from Yuma Arizona and
decided to move a trailer onto the property next to Robert’s
house. She had immediately purchased three dairy cows to put
out to graze with the horses. The two youths were busy
entertaining themselves in the back yard on the day in
question, when they noticed that one of the cows had
separated from the other two and was running around in the
field. On closer inspection they saw that it was being
chased by one of the strange, hairy creatures. This one was
slightly larger than the ones previously seen by his
father-around four or five ft. tall. It also looked quite
dirty, they told me, before describing the same curious
ambulatory gait as the other witnesses. The only reason the
thing didn’t catch the cow, both boys claimed, was because
it had accidentally ran into an old barbed wire fence and
stumbled to the ground. After this the creature seemed to
give up the chase entirely. Moreover, the two claimed to
have witnessed a footprint left behind by this thing before
a subsequent thunderstorm obliterated any and all traces of
evidence which may, or may not, have existed at the time.
They described it as looking like the print of a man, except
for the toes, which appeared to be split-hoofed.

The fact that one of these unknown creatures was,
evidently, confidant enough in his own abilities to single
handedly attempt to bring down a full grown heifer says much
about the animals’ apparently aggressive natures. Not
mentioning, of course, the fact that a ‘pack’ of them had
already tried to surround four armed men. The pattern here
seems to suggest a mostly nocturnal animal. That they were
all covered in dirt or mud in every sighting appears to give
credence to the supposition that they might utilize, on a
regular basis, the intricate and extensive cave systems that
exist in the area. They would almost certainly be
omnivorous, taking full advantage of every available food
source. Could these mysterious creatures actually live in
the area, as described, yet still remain unknown to modern
science? The answer is yes.

South Central Kentucky, like the rest of the state, is no
stranger to reports of hirsute, ape-like humanoids both
small and large. Sober witnesses have been describing such
things, from all parts of KY., for generations. According to
Loren Coleman’s ‘Mysterious America’ (Faber&Faber,1983),
in nearby MONROE CO. there exists a location called ‘Monkey
Cave Hollow’. The name was given by early settlers and
referred to the strange tribe of ‘monkeys’ which inhabited
the area, living in caves and foraging for roots and
berries. According to Coleman, these critters were hunted to
their apparent extinction, with the ‘last of them’
reportedly shot and killed around the turn of the 20th
century. I humbly submit the strong possibility that at
least some of them got away.

The region seems to be a favored haunt of these mysterious
‘monkeys’. Bordered on three sides by the state’s largest
lakes; Barren River Lake, Dale Hollow and Lake Cumberland,
the land between and around these bodies of water remains
largely virgin and unspoiled. At present writing I have been
to the area several times and gazed upon the many mountains,
valleys, forests, rivers and streams. More than enough
resources to adequately sustain and conceal large numbers of
creatures such as these. With room to spare. I’ve explored
some of the regions stream
beds and forests and marveled at
the natural beauty to be found there. In some of the caves one
can put his ear to the ground and listen to the swift water running through the
darkness far below. Much of this regions wilderness areas
are so remote that they are frequented by very few people-if
any. I have no doubt that scores of the areas caves
eventually interface with the aforementioned Mammoth Cave
system in nearby EDMONSON CO. which remains a unique enigma
in itself and still holds many secrets that have yet to see
the light of day. One of them, I’m certain, must be the
existence of small, monkey-like, nocturnal humanoids.


In the fall of 1955, anomalous researchers all over North America became familiar with the Sutton family farm, the scene of one of the most intriguing cases in the history of extraterrestrial visitation. The events, witnessed by dozens of credible witnesses, centered around nightly attacks by “little green men”. While the status of these creatures is often argued as everything from space aliens, goblins, or even the official military explanation of “silver painted circus monkey”, the attacks that became known as the Kelly-Hopkinsville Encounter, or the Hopkinsville Goblins Case, ceased as quickly as they began, with the strange creatures disappearing into the pages of UFOlogy books for the next 50 years.

I mention the Hopkinsville case only because it bears a striking similarity to the events that one man claims have occurred to he and his family over the past year in the very same state; events that have led some to believe that the Goblins have returned. Only this time, they’ve left evidence of their visit.

Strap in, reader. It’s going to get very weird very quickly.

Two months ago, I received an email at an account belonging to my long defunct ghost hunting outfit by the name of Ghost Hunters, Incorporated. The GHI website is so old that it hasn’t had a proper update in roughly eight years. I’ll pop in and check the mail about once a month or so, but generally at this point we only receive emails intended for the cast of Ghost Hunters, requests for driving directions to our old haunts, and the occasional invitation to speak at a conference. This email, however, was different. This email was a plea for help.

The following is the complete email sent to ghosthuntersinc(at) on April 22. I’ve removed only identifying names and locations. We’ll call the sender “David” from here on out.

Hello, my name is [David]. I received your contact information through a mutual acquaintance who assures me that you are well equipped to investigate peculiar problems. Furthermore, I believe you may have interest in these events beyond any compensation that I am prepared to deliver in order to have these issues sorted.

For the past 6 months I have been living in a rural home located on the border of West Virginia and Kentucky where my family is nightly assaulted by creatures that I have come to believe are of an extraterrestrial origin. These beings appear to be the size and stature of a small child, devoid of any facial features save for large, oily eyes and lipless mouths. They frighten my children by peering through their bedroom windows, chirping at one another. They actively attempt to enter my home in the middle of the night. Last month they took my dog. The police refuse to provide any further assistance, attributing the problems to wild animals and forwarding my complaints to the state game commission.

I believe they are coming from an abandoned mine located on the edge of my property. Though I’m armed, I’m afraid that I’m far too frightened to enter the mine by my lonesome, and cannot convince any sympathetic friends to accompany me, though I cannot blame them. I am convinced that the only answer is to collapse the mine.

I believe this is where we can be mutually beneficial to one another. If you are prepared to assist me in this matter, I can offer you permission to record and document these events under the condition of anonymity. I can guarantee you evidence of these creatures which I assure you are not “wild animals”.

Please respond ASAP. Thank you.

Let me make it clear that as GHI, we have never once investigated any claims of extraterrestrials or UFOs. We may or may not have created a crop circle or two in our teenage years, but that is about the closest we’ve ever come to chasing space aliens. Unless you count spying on Nick Foust’s dating life.

As you can see from the image of the gang, we were 110% professional back in those days. Clearly the kind of fine young men you’d want investigating the terrifying occurrences plaguing your home.

Thinking the email was obviously a joke, I wrote back stating that we unfortunately had no experience with extraterrestrials or explosives, but we’d be glad to assist if he wouldn’t mind elaborating on the details and providing some evidence. I posted the email (sans identifiers, of course) to a paranormal message board that I frequent, as well as my Facebook account, and it quickly became a subject of fun speculation. Who is this guy? Why would he email a ghost hunting group for a space alien problem? Who was this “mutual friend” that was mentioned? Why would space faring beings be living in a cave? Is blowing up an abandoned mine shaft even legal? And of course, the question anyone with a passing interest in the paranormal was asking themselves: what if he’s telling the truth?

These conversations quickly led to the creation of the Alien Cave Base Task Force, a rag-tag group of adventurous friends and strangers who half-seriously pledged to travel to Kentucky with the intention of going on an adventure and seeing if Dave was for real. We even made t-shirts. I don’t think any of us honestly believed that there was any chance of this trip actually happening.

After a few more jokes about dying in a mine collapse, I hit the sack, not thinking much more of the strange email or the Task Force. The following day GHI had a new message from Dave sitting in their inbox.

Thank you for the prompt response. I do not blame you for being skeptical of my story. I appreciate you keeping an open mind about my situation and I am more than happy to provide you with as much information as I am able.

I was given your contact information through a man by the name of Terry Wriste [Editors Note: I’ve left this name untouched due to it’s relevance and the fact that I don’t believe it to be a real person – we’ll come back to this]. When these disturbances first began occurring, I was only inclined to confide in a personal friend who I knew had fringe interests. He offered to share my concerns with a man that had dealt with somewhat similar experiences in previous years. I accepted his offer. Within a week I was informed that this gentleman had long since retired from pursuits of this kind but was willing to provide me with contacts who may be willing to help. This is how I came to contact you. I do not have any answer to “why” other than a referral and recommendation from a gentleman I do not know personally. I was under the impression that you would answer that question.

I am located in Pike County, just outside the town of [redacted], Kentucky. [redacted] is located roughly 30 to 60 minutes from the borders of Virginia and West Virginia respectively. Most of Pike County is made up of small towns and rural communities; it is not uncommon to go days without seeing my closest neighbors. I moved to this area for the peace and quiet. I have received neither.

I have lived in this area for just under seven months and in that time the majority of the harassment has occurred within the past three. I did not become aware of any strangeness until early December, although that is only when I began to keep a record of these events. At first it was merely strange tracks in the snow around my home. I had initially imagined that they were from some kind of animal, though it closely resembled a human footprint minus the heel. At that time I was under the impression that it was simply a single creature. It wasn’t until the weeks later that I began to suspect that I was dealing with a number of what I thought were individuals “hazing” me upon my arrival to the area.

At this point I was incapable of keeping my dog outdoors overnight. Any attempt to leave her leashed would result in her barking herself hoarse until she was allowed back indoors. In the weeks leading up to this particular evening I had awoken to find my shed doors open on several occasions, many of my children’s toys missing or moved, and my yard in general disarray. I had already given a report to the police, who were making it increasingly clear that they were not interested in my case barring psychical harm or large scale theft.

The second week of January I am having breakfast with my family when my five year old daughter begins talking about the “kids without hair”. When my wife inquired about these kids, she informed us that she had spent the previous night watching them play in the yard. As you can imagine, this was of some concern. I asked my daughter what these kids looked like, she told me that they “were bald like grandpa and weren’t wearing any clothes”. The very same day I found the wreath that hangs inside our rear porch stuffed into our mailbox. I purchased and installed motion activated floodlights the following day and for a time, the problems ceased. It wasn’t until the end of February that our daughter informed us that the “bald kids” had returned.

I was awoken to the sound to my daughter screaming and rushed to her bedroom only to meet her halfway down the hall. When my wife and I were finally able to calm her down enough to speak, she told us that the kids were trying to peer into her window but they couldn’t reach, and instead, had taken to tapping on it. She hasn’t slept in her own bedroom since. It was that morning that I phoned the police for the second the time, and they responded by finally sending a trooper to our residence. I informed him of the regular mischief, how I was now unable to let my dog outdoors after dusk, and of the “bald kids”. When we found the ground disturbed just under my daughter’s bedroom window the officer informed me, very matter-of-factly, that we were dealing with an animal and I would be better off contacting the game commission than waste their resources any further.

Almost every day for the following week, I would find some evidence that something or someone had been on my property the previous night. Smudges on the windows were not uncommon, stones from the walkway dragged to the other side of the lawn, and I had found tears in the screen door. On Wednesday the 7th of March I finally witnessed the “kids without hair” for myself.

The dog woke me up around 1:30 AM, scratching at the back door and whimpering to be let out. I noticed that the motion floodlight was on, and went to the kitchen window to check that the shed doors were still closed when I realized that I could see the shadow of an individual cast across my lawn. From the angle I was positioned at the window I could not actually see the source of the shadow or the floodlights. The dog was pacing circles around the back door and I could hear someone rifling through a box on the porch. Filled with more anger than common sense, the only reaction I could muster was to bang loudly on the window and yell, at which point I heard the screen door on the porch swing open and slam against the house. I heard what I can only describe as “chirping” at this point. It sounded much like a skunk, if more guttural. I then realized that there were more than two people on my property, and the shadow, which had been reacting as if it didn’t know which way to run, was quickly joined by another. For a moment I watched as the shadows chirped at one another when I noticed a figure out of the corner of my eye.

Standing in the flower bed just to the bottom left of my window was a small, humanoid figure, with sickly pale skin, completely hairless, standing roughly 4′. It was looking in the direction of the shadows, and had clearly come from around the left side of the house opposite the porch and had not noticed me as far as I could tell. It’s face was devoid of features, save for large round eyes, very reminiscent in shape and color of a bird’s eye. It had no nose to speak of, and only a small slit for a mouth. It didn’t appear to move it’s mouth as it chirped, sounding more as if the noises originated from it’s throat. It was most certainly not a “wild animal” and even more certainly not a child. I was too terrified to move, and watched as the creature hopped to the others, and together they scrambled into the woods on the right side of my property. It was clear that there were at least five in the group.

I have not mentioned this particular incident to my wife, and the only other person who I’ve spoken to about these creatures are yourself and the close friend who introduced me to our mutual friend Mr. Wriste. I would prefer to keep things that way, and to approach this problem as discreetly as possible. Since that evening, my dog has gone missing from the porch, yet to return, and I can only imagine that his disappearance has to do with these creatures. I’ve gone looking for him during daylight hours, only to find many of my missing belongings scattered at the entrance to an abandoned mine shaft at the far edge of my property. I don’t dare go inside.

My friend has convinced me that my experience is similar to that of other “visitation” experiences, providing me with material and references that back up his claims. I am aware of the outlandish nature of what I have told you, but I am afraid that I have no other explanation for what I have seen, at least at this time. I can see no other option than to seal the entrance to the mine. I cannot achieve this on my own, and I am too frightened to try. I don’t dare share this information with others for fear of ruining my career and the reputation of my family. I am prepared to compensate your travel expenses and offer you unrestricted access with whatever recording equipment that you desire but only on the condition of complete anonymity. Beyond that, I have no other desire than to be rid of this problem.

Please inform me of what you would like photographs of and where to send them.

Thank you again.

I immediately felt the urge to take the Alien Cave Base Task Force a bit more seriously..

Lets recap, shall we? Small, child-size creatures? Check. Terror-stricken family? Check. Desolate property in rural Kentucky? Check. It all sounds very familiar.

Something that didn’t sound familiar, however, was the name Terry Wriste. In fact, I don’t think I’d ever heard the name before and after asking a few other GHI alumni I was certain they never had either. Was he someone we’d met at a convention many years ago? Someone we’d gone to high school with? A friend of a friend of a friend? The answer is none of the above. In fact, Terry Wriste isn’t even a real name.

A bit of googling provides only one source for the name Terry R. Wriste: a pseudonym used by an ex-military occultist interviewed in two rather obscure books printed in the mid-nineties. Titled The Secret Cipher of the Ufonauts and The Secret Rituals of the Men In Black, these particular books are about as fringe as you can get when it comes to ufology, with instructions on contacting “ultraterrestrials” via occult rituals supposedly deciphered by Aleister Crowley himself.

Just before the index of each book, author Allen Greenfield conducts an interview with Terry, who willingly admits that his name is not real. In these interviews, Wriste speaks of a guerrilla group of Vietnam veterans formed in the early 70’s whose directives included the infiltration and destruction of underground alien bases in and around the southern USA. After explaining how the team formed and where many of these cave entrances were located (including one entrance at the famous Brown Mountain in North Carolina), he goes on to describe the botched mission that caused him to retire from kicking space alien ass.

“…we were in a kind of cavern, only, I’d say, artificially hollowed out and illuminated by a greenish glow, defuse; not from a single, identifiable source. Anyhow, the whole area resembled (ufologist Dick) Shaver’s less exotic subterranean story descriptions, and, in more recent terms, some of the modern alien base stories. We were confronted by these small, grayish beings—humanoid only in the technical sense—and one of our guys said “Dero!” and started shooting. He had an M-1 rifle, if I recall. One shot, and [the little gray being] was illuminated in blue, and just gone. Then there was a sound, and I felt my own gun, an M-16, get unbearably hot. I dropped it, turned to run, and was confronted by two of these little gray-skinned guys with a net. Whatever had convinced me my rifle was hot had apparently not focused on my pistol, a vintage Luger, and one of the little net-holders received the last surprise of its life. It kind of exploded, and the other one dropped the net and ran, up the slope, with me suddenly in pursuit. When we got beyond the lighted area, though, it was just gone. I heard gun fire and explosions behind me, and that god-awful hum, and I continued, pistol in hand, looking around wildly, to go back the way I came. Only three of us ever made it back to the surface. One of them died a year or so later, of leukemia, I think. He was only about 24-25, so maybe there’s a connection.”

Wriste also talks of meeting a group of extraterrestrial refugees led by none other than Indrid Cold. Yes, that Indrid Cold. But I digress. Feel free to read the books yourself,  as they’re freely available online.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find that there are other folks out there with the name Terry Wriste, but the coincidence can’t be ignored.  Was David instructed by the very same Wriste? Probably not. It’s possible that David came into contact with a man that claims to have gone A-Team on ET, but it’s also more likely that it’s someone with a background in esoterica having some fun at his expense. Or ours.

I shared this new information with the ACBTF, a name that at that point, was becoming increasingly relevant to the situation. The gang hits the books and between the lot of us, we discover that Pike County is a hotbed of abandoned mines, that eastern Kentucky is home to some of North America’s most expansive systems of underground caverns, and KY as a whole has a history of some very strange UFO sightings. One adventurous Task Forcer even went so far as to call the Pike County State Police station. Their response was that “space aliens are reported all the time”.

I emailed Dave and requested some evidence for the second time, reiterating that if he was truly serious about having us come to Kentucky, we needed some pretty solid proof that we weren’t being jerked around.

He never emailed back.

Until last weekend.

My apologies for the time it has taken me to reply to your previous email. The situation at my home had become unbearable and we chose to stay with my wife’s family out of state until an appropriate solution can be reached. I am at my wits end.

This afternoon my brother-in-law and I traveled back to the house for the first time in over a month, as I needed to check on the security of my property and gather some belongings. The house seems relatively untouched, leading me to believe that the creatures’ motives were driven by the presence of my family. As you requested, I brought a camera back to the property for the purpose of photographic evidence.

While my home was free of tampering, I was able to find a trail of prints that match the size and shape of those previously left by the creatures on my property. The prints lead into the woods behind my home, following a stream that runs near the mine. My brother-in-law, an avid sportsman, can not identify the tracks despite his skepticism. Perhaps you know of someone better suited to identify these prints.

I will be spending the next two nights in my home and will send more images should the opportunity present itself. I am looking forward to your thoughts.

These are the attached images:


It doesn’t take a long hard look to see that the footprints are strange. The question is, of course, are they strange because they’re fake, because they belong to an animal whose prints we aren’t used to seeing, or because they belong to a creature we can’t identify?

Seeing as we were now out of the realm of pure anecdote and into potential photographic evidence, I posted the clearer of the two images here at WF and asked for the help of readers in identifying them.

You guys didn’t disappoint. So far I’ve seen theories about wild hog tracks, bear tracks, three-toed humans (and Sasquatches) to name a few, though my favorite was the reader who suggested it was a man on stilts with monster feet stuck on the end. Another reader sent the photo to the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Department, who so far can’t identify the print but won’t declare it fake either.

Commenter “Isis” drew our attention to the fact that this sighting mirrors the Dover Demon case, dealing with a creature that matches the same description, down to a three-toed footprint. “Mysterian” mentioned that during the Fouke Monster sightings in the 70’s, a Texarkana newspaper published a very similar photo.

It was stated several times that getting an image of the prints next to a yard stick would greatly help in determining the creature’s size. As promised, David delivered. He delivered big time. This arrived the following day:

“The creatures came out the woods late last evening. I have enclosed photographs taken to the best of my ability given the situation. I have also enclosed photographs of the creature’s footprints alongside a measuring stick. My brother-in-law is not as skeptical as he was when we arrived and we will be leaving before dark this evening. I look forward to hearing back from you.”

The following image of the tracks show the prints measuring in around six inches, with a distance of a little over a foot between each:


Also attached were three images of the creatures that David claims terrorized his family. The EXIF data shows that the images were snapped, sans flash, with a digital zoom of 2.1. The model camera is a Canon a630. The photos were taken at 6:01 AM on June 19th.


As you can see, even with the images cleaned up, the photos are anything but conclusive, with the first being the best of the bunch by a long shot. I almost didn’t bother posting the second two images, but relented in the hopes that someone else may find some value in them. I’m assuming that the image on the left is supposed to be a profile view of the creature. The image on the right just looks like a dinosaur to me, but I guess if we’ve come this far we shouldn’t rule that out either.

One member of the ACBTF, Robyn Montella, took the time analyze the most striking photo, coming up with some interesting results (see chart to the left – click for full size). The International Center for Fortean Zoology is currently doing some research of their own, and we’re still waiting to hear what else the Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife has to say about the new evidence. If anyone else feels like taking a crack at some in-depth analyzation, I’d be more than happy to provide you with the high res images. Drop a line to editor(at) and I’ll get them to you.

So, that makes everything just about current. I’ve not received any further emails from David, but you can be sure that I’ll share them with everyone when I do. You have the story, you have the photos, and now we’d like you to share your own thoughts about the case.

Between the blurry images of purported space goblins, the clear photos of unidentifiable footprints, tales of anti-extraterrestrial guerrilla forces led by men with fake names, and the similarities to a handful of different visitation cases over the years, we’ve got a whole bunch of questions. We’re hoping you can help us answer them. You know, preferably before we decide to drive to Kentucky and die in an abandoned mine shaft. Or some strange man’s sex dungeon.

Can you identify the footprints? Do you recognize the creature in the photos? Who is Terry Wriste? Why would a space faring species go barefoot? Is it even an extraterrestrial? The list goes on. If you have theories, answers, or musings on any and all things involving this case, by all means, share them with us.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s