I’ve been looking at the subject of persistent convincing hallucinations for a long time now, for several reasons.
One of the reasons is that during my time at university, and for a short period years later, I was part of deliberate scientific experiments to channel nonhuman intelligences and obtain data from them- in other words, to get useable military intelligence from demonic possession.
The experiments exactly match the Puharich and Keel experiences- yes, you can get some information that is not available through conventional means; yes, some of this information is fantastically valuable; no, wherever these answers come from can’t be trusted.
There’s a good case for saying that these answers come from within the mind of the subject, no demonology or space aliens required. There’s as much evidence, controvertible though it is, that there is something beyond the self that provides answers… Sometimes.
It’s a bit like trying to see something that’s out of focus- it occasionally swims into focus, and at other times it’s so out of focus as to be surrealistic swirls. If what you’re looking at changes frequently, you’re in the realm of balanced probabilities as to what you’ve seen and when. It’s difficult to objectively measure success in such an environment.
A real example.
A channelling session provided arab nicknames and phrases translated into English. These phrases matched to words that a separate unknown desk was collecting. And the desk was dealing with the same serious topic – same exact topic – as the channelling session, with neither knowing about the other at the time. The ultimate boss of both channelling and desk knew about both operations; no one lower than that person did. The channelling also provided details about an underground base in a target country. The contents of that underground base were moved across the border to another country just before our forces mounted major conclusive operations. But the intelligence was confirmed on the ground- there really was a sophisticated underground base as described in the channelling session.
However, the items in question had been moved- our forces have photographed them being moved via satellite but we never got out nubbies on them. Success or failure? Impossible for the politician involved to claim a success even though we stopped a dictator from using them, since when he was forced to move them they were moved out of play. Also the politician can’t reveal the source of such intelligence- not even by agency, let alone the bit about demon possession being the source of the original tips.
What intrigued me for years on a related topic was how channelling sessions would produce figures from late antiquities- Mithras cult type beings, pagan gods, and odd early christian / jewish fictional figures.
As unacceptable as it is to claim alien abduction, it is radically out of fashion to claim, as was once common, that one is in telepathic or dream contact with spirit guides, Elvis, Disney characters, atlanteans, ancient egyptians and so on.
And yet there is as much or more evidence for the “unacceptable” or “The Damned” excluded data as Charles Fort called it as there is for safe and somewhat reassuring aliens and UFOs and abductions. I say somewhat reassuring because alien paradigm nonsense fits current mainstream prejudices – and lapdog media entertainent – than Elvis or ghosts or red indian chiefs or ancient egyptians.
Based on my own experiences with controlled experiments and practical use for intel gathering purposes, it’s safer to see the phenomenon in terms of:
1. it’s either our own minds dissociating or nonhuman intelligence;
2. whatever it is, it’s like a bunch of actors who can dress and act in radical different ways from experience to experience. But from time to time under all the makeup you suddenly realise you recognise the actor from a previous role;
3. the phenomenon is not omniscient. God’s not omniscient for that matter- it was just a bunch of horseshit invented in late antiquity that started claiming that;
4. the phenomenon can see into what we call the past and the future, but again, like seeing in infrared or ultraviolet having different vision powers doesn’t make it God, godlike or even generally superior to us;
5. the phenomenon engages the imagination and the memory of the subject. When information is given it forms as though it were a memory; as this false memory (which might contain genuine new information) forms, the subject’s imagination is used to clothe the new data, somehow making it familiar to the human who receives it. Most people lack the discipline and willpower to get “clean” information; if they fail to use sufficient discipline as the answers come from… wherever… the data comes in stilted language and with a lot of colour- ie stage tricks, costume drama and other assorted bullshit.
6. in addition to the inner self or nonhuman intelligence whatever it is, there are DEFINITELY humans and groups of humans out there who have long since learned the tricks of hypnosis and telepathy and can hijack the experience with “enemy transmissions”. And some of them can do it so well that their “fake” experience feels as “real” as the “genuine” channelling.
7. Imagination fuels the experience, like a rocket getting you to orbit. Once you’re orbiting, stop using the rocket. IE, if you leave your imagination running after contact has been made, you get no useful information just an awesome amount of confabulation. Along with this confabulation there is ALWAYS this persistent attempt to actualise from the “other side”- an agenda to manifest their bizarro theatrical fascism in the physical world. Whether it’s space aliens, atlanteans, ancient egyptians, whoever- they quickly hijack the process, promise the universe but push a very anti-human and fascist agenda. Sure, they talk peace and love; but they also talk wholesale destruction and massacres.