1. the Nazis didn’t count an unusual number of sexual perverts in their ranks, and they certainly didn’t run weird sex abuse rings from child homes and orphanages. In fact, the largely jewish-run pornography and prostitution organised crime rackets were destroyed by the Nazis. Allowing for their puritanical views on liberal arts, most of the books they ACTUALLY burnt were pornography, sexually explicit, or marxist.
2. making Hollis Mason into a murderer is so far away from how Moore and Gibbons originally created the character it’s almost a crime in and of itself.
1. the entire chronology is wrong. So wrong it’s almost open to question if it’s deliberate. The hippy-esque “scene” is years out of step with reality, as is the escalation of Viet Nam.
2. did Silk Spectre II run away when she was fourteen? Sixteen? Beyond bizarre.
3. Edward Bernays and his engineering of consent was created in the 1920s and 1930s, not the 1960s.
1. overlapping Nite Owl and Nite Owl II like this is wrong based on how the characters interact in WATCHMEN. It’s nonsensical. It also doesn’t fit their dynamic from the original masterwork. Straczynski at his worst.
1. odd to see them tie themselves up in knots trying to make this character somehow sympathetic in his motivations. It shows up starkly how inferior in talent the Before Watchmen hacks are, despite their effectively infinite resources, compared to Alan Moore who evoked sympathy simply by contrasting events and the human condition.
1. his origin is horribly out of keeping with his character in WATCHMEN. Of course he was a crime lord in the masterwork but with none of this suggestion of murderous nastiness. If anything he almost seemed a naif- in the sense that it was “fun” being a costumed villain until Manhattan began a murderous elimination of his henchmen, etc.
2. having Ozymandias waste such resources on him for no reason is a strawman setup to the Before Watchmen story but makes no sense whatsoever. He was just an “employee” of a subsidiary not an inhabitant of Ozymandias’ tower. If you aren’t going to really research and understand the original when making a cash-in pastiche like Before Watchmen, what is the earthly fucking POINT?
Absent from Before Watchmen
What is missing from this turgid hackfest by the leading prostitutes of the industry?
1. normal people. Remember all those normal people in the original? Where the fuck did they go? Corporate comicbook sausage makers are so divorced from reality it doesn’t even occur to them that normal people exist as actual living humans, just as backdrop to their awesome socialist wankery.
2. straightforward, ruthless and efficient evil. Ozymandias didn’t have an intricate plan. It was actually a simplistic comicbook plan which Alan Moore as writer was able to make work because it was his universe to which to dictate outcomes. As with his silly socialist politics in WATCHMEN his howlers can be made to come true in his own fictional universe- in WATCHMEN as in DARK KNIGHT RETURNS the world really is facing nuclear war, rather than in our world where that was just more bullshit. But in Before Watchmen we don’t even have actual plots- just insane arbitrary strawmen after strawmen- whether it’s the patriotic japs stopping the eeevil japs or it’s the stupidity of having Moloch working directly under Veidt or the ludicrous child abduction Hooded Justice character abuse.
3. No single character must be allowed not to be a murderer or pervert. Thus at a stroke the homosexual relationship of Metropolis and Justice must be sadomasochistic; Sillhouette must be a killer; Mason must be a killer; Silk Spectre must be a killer for fucks sake. Contrast with Comedian: zero. I wonder when I see this sort of crap whether it isn’t shades of the deliberate sabotage of Shazam over the years- own brands- but cripple them to enable the weaker brands like Superman and Batman to obtain and keep pre-eminence. No repeat of the breakout success of Wildstorm must be allowed again.
4. bad jews. Great pains are taken to put anti-semitism into the books for no good reason at all other than to paint all the jewish characters in a sympathetic light. Never miss a chance, eh?